Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Extreme Sac Make-Over!




For all of you who laugh at me for carrying a camera on me 24/7, this is exactly why.

So this dog came into the clinic today, I just couldn't resist busting out the camera for it. At first glance, you may say, "Woah, those are the biggest balls I have ever seen in my entire life!" Well, get this... he just got neutered Friday (today is Tuesday.) His poor little sac is actually filled to the brim with a Hematoma. For all of you who are wondering what that is... it's basically a localized pool of blood in a soft tissue area that has generally clotted... gross, right. So essentially this was a huge blood clot... poor kid, right?



So yeah, we wrapped the sac area in some vet wrap, which is the same thing as you get wrapped around your arm when give blood. We did this first layer so we could scrub and prep the area for surgery. One the surgeon is sterile, she will be given a sterile roll of wrap and will re-wrap the area in the surgical suite. Note the size of my hand versus the size of his very tighty wrapped up sac! It was nuts... no pun intended...



Surgery wasn't as blood as I expected, and I debated putting any of the actual cutting pics on here, but I thought it was interesting. Anyway, so Dr. Ono gently started cutting all around the base of the hematoma until she pretty much, for lack of better words, cut the clot off. His muscle and subcutaneous (under the skin) layers were pretty rough looking. He had lots of adema (swelling from fluid collection) so his recovery is gonna be a tad bit painful, but she got it all out and after some very light treading, and string pain killers, he should be okay.


This is the aftermath... looks pretty good considering what he had hanging between his legs. He not only got a neuter, but got a sac lift too! His little hoo-hoo is gonna be pretty swollen and bruised, but it's gotta be better than carrying around that almost 1-pound clot! Hope you all got a kick outta this... I have a lot more cool pics of the surgery so if you all don't think it's too graphic, I can post a few more...
So one final note... I'm sure you wondering what happened to the hematoma when it was removed? Well... me being the curious person I am, decided to put it in a stainless steel bowl and chop that bad boy apart. To my disappointment... no gushing pockets of ooze, just tissue that looks like a liver... not too exciting. I tried to get Dr. Ono to dry it out and hang it over her tailgate hitch like those country hicks, but she wasn't going for it... I don't know why not though!!
Hope you enjoyed!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment