Monday, June 22, 2009

I finally have a job!! Yay!!





So after 3 months, I am finally emploed here on the Island! Yay!!

So I just got hired on at the Okinawa Veterinary Treatment Facility as one of the new Vet Techs! This is kind of a big deal for me considering I've wanted this job since before we even left the states! As of today I have been there for a week and a half and I LOVE it. Who wouldn't like being around animals all day, right!

So as a Tech, I am pretty much responsible for everything except dispensing medications on the medical side, and cutting on the surgical side. We run 1-week rotations. For one week you work the medical side which includes the sick pet appointments, vaccinations, pre-surgical blood work, pharmacy, all lab work, and any drop-off type appointment like for heartwork treatments or other various things. On the surgical side you do everything from getting the animal asleep, prep for surgery, blood draws, surgical monitoring, post-op care, sterilizations, etc. I mean, as a Tech here on island with one clinic for over 15,000 animals and only 3 doctors, you do as much as you can so the doc has time to see everyone. It's awesome and I am learning a lot. I hope to be able to take some classes here so when I go back to the states I can apply for vet school!

So the pics up above include one of the 4 medical treatment rooms. They all pretty much look the same. The ugly baby blue is just for a little longer until they do renovations next spring, thank goodness.

Next is the surgical area. No worries though, the pic is not of a dog being operated on, it's just a Yorkie getting his leg wrapped by our Ortho doctor!

The pic with the long table in the center is the main treatment back area. That's where you animal gets dragged off to if we need to put them into a headlock and we don't want you to see it happen. That's only for really bad kiddies and the drop-off kids.

The last two are the lab and the outside of the clinic. The lab is actually huge and has all the testing equipment back there. We do ear swabs, skin scraps, tape impressions, fecal testing, blood work, serums, urinalysis, etc. back there. I was stuck there for a week until they let me out of the "poop cave" and I finally got to start stabbin' puppies and kittens today, woo hoo.

But yeah, it's not a whole lot to look at, but it's always super busy with something to do and you get to learn a lot, so I really like it a lot. Hopefully I don't screw up and I get to stay here for a while. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the job! I'm so glad you're loving it! I love your blog - you are so funny! It sounds like you guys are really enjoying it there. Take care and keep posting!
    - Christina

    ReplyDelete