Friday, October 9, 2009

To Tokyo We Did A-Go-Go!

So the long-awaited pics of Tokyo are finally here!! Yay!! Sorry I was so lazy about getting them up here... I knew I had a ton of pics which would require like 5 seperate posts, and well, I didn't know if I had the strenght, haha... but here they are!!
So this is our hotel. It's nothing fancy at all. It's called Hardy Barracks, and literally it's a renovated old barracks building. For all you Army people out there who know what I am taking about, they took the two rooms that are connected by the bathroom, and made one of the dorms into a living room area, and the other attached room a bedroom. It was cheap, close to the metro, and pretty much in the center of Roppongi Hills, which is a big shopping/dining district.
We decided on our last day to do a little random sight-seeing and ended up in the Harajuku district. If you google this street, you can see what it's most famous for... and it's the crazy teenagers who dress in off the wall outfits. They are called the Harajuku Girls and were the inspiration for Gwen Stefani's perfume line and one of her songs... not quite sure which one, maybe Holla' Back Girl... er, whatever it's called. We were out pretty early in the morning so we didn't get a chance to see them, and the street's shops were pretty much all closed, but it looked like it had some potential to be a lot of fun when it was up and running!
This pic is for the Weightman's... it's a super-awesome Japanese verison of a 7-eleven, same colors and everything, just Jap-ified.

This is a night view of the Tokyo tower from Roppongi Hills. The Tokyo tower was kind of Eiffel tower-looking, but apparently it's even bigger than the French version. It was very pretty all lit up at night...

This is quite possibly the smallest Hard Rock ever... seriously. It only fit like 50 people inside, no lie...

This is a scary art exhibit window display... I have no idea what they were promoting, but it was creepy and we had to walk by it quite frequently... note the weird penis... yeah, I said penis.

I was told the Japanese were very intelligent, but this window display proved it...


Us having amazing Belgian Beer... the night ended ugly, but the beer was delicious. My hubby ended up tossing his cookies, Sarah remembers only pieces of the evening, and Derek and I were quite giggly... good times!


On the way home from the delicious beer, I was able to get Sarah to take a pic of me with the biggest lantern I had ever seen. It was so magnificent, I felt it needed a hug..

This is a very weird spider statue in the middle of Roppongi Hills... I'm not sure what purpose it served, but it was cool to look at. If you sat under it and looked up into its "belly," you could see like little eggs in it. At night it looked very "War of the Worlds" but it was pretty cool...
So these are just a few pics of random bits around Tokyo, but lots more to come, including Kamakura and the Giant Buddha, Tokyo Disney, Tokyo Sea, Meiji Shrine, and much more!!

1 comment:

  1. I have the same exact pic of that spider with me under it. We took it this winter in Ottawa. I will have to send it to you. Deb

    ReplyDelete