Sunday, April 26, 2009

Don't rock the boat, baby!









Starting from the top and going down... this is how I got to Iejima...
The top is Motobu port. It's about 65km north of Kadena and going 60km per hour on one-way roads = road rage and a 2 hour car ride... even longer on a bus... thank god for the expressway!!
Next is the Nago bay bridge. It connects the Motobu area with one of the outer but close little islands. It's only like a half mile across, but the bay is HUGE. Little factoid for ya: Hunting dolphin and porpoise in this country is not technically illigal. I was told to look at it as like an over population of deer... yuck. There are only, get this, TEN people who have a license to hunt dolphin in Japanese waters, but they tend not to do so because of the stigma and bad reaction they get from Americans on the island, some locals, and even now, some of the government officials. They are in the process of trying to talk the country's fishing community to leave them alone, I hope that passes...
Next is the Ie port... yay.
After that is the ferry boat I was on, followed by a good-bye view of Ie island and Gusuku... who in all of her steep kindness had officially killed my leg muscles by this point in the day.
Next was by far my favorite pic all day. Apparently in Japan if there isn't a sign saying you can't do it, you can pretty much pop a tent up wherever you want and hunker down in it totally free. This gentleman decided to set his up on the breakwater like a half mile out into the water and about 60+ feet up. He was just out there chillin, wind was a whippin, and he was anchored down to the cement somehow. I was in total awe... I can't wait to do that!!
Then there's me... sexy, huh?
Last is back to Motobu port... very exciting.
I hope you enjoyed my day trip. It was awesome and being added to the list of "What to drag visiting friends and family to." :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment