Thursday, April 16, 2009

I am a sushi makin' master!!










So here's proof that I actually made sushi all by MYSELF!! I got the book, braved the grocery store off base to find the ingredients, and I rocked it like it was my job! Well... I suppose making dinner is my job now that i'm an unemployed bum... Anywho, here are some actual pics that prove I am not a culinary disaster.
On tonight's menu were: cucumber rolls with wasabe and toasted sesame; Veggies rolls with cucumber, carrot, avacado, and green onions; Shrimp rolls with cream cheese, sesame seeds, and cucumber; California rolls with crab meat, avacado, cucumber, and lastly were rice rolls topped with avacado and wasabe mayo with toasted sesame seeds. Yes, I rock.
To really blow your mind, last night I made tuna avacado dandori. It was delicious! It was raw tuna marinated in some mirin and soy sauce, over top of rice and topped with avacado and a wasabe soy sauce. For desert was a matcha (green tea powder) jelly roll and hot tea. I confess, I didn't make the jelly roll but I want to learn how! It was delicious!!
So yeah... no more going out to eat for sushi when there's now a world class chef in the hizzouse! Now all I need to do is master the art of tempura and I will be all set!

3 comments:

  1. Why are they not gluten free, always wanted to get one of these in the store already made up and the ingredients always say wheat. What is the black part, debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The black stuff is a pressed seaweed paper they use to roll it in, it's called "nori" here and I'm pretty sure it's gluten-free. I suppose it would all depend on what kind of goodies the put inside of it that may add wheat to it, or it could be a little disclaimer in case something else the cooked around it had wheat... or if it had something fried in it too... the tempura batter is wheat-based i think... - Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would totally die of starvation in Japan! I hate fish, cooked or otherwise. God love your adventurous taste buds!

    ReplyDelete